Vocal Range: C3 – G6
Vocal Tessitura: G3 – F5
Voice Type: Light Lyric Soprano
- Maintains good tonality up until E5 and a stable larynx up until F5.
- Voice is never nasal; full and round sound is produced all the time in tessitura.
- One of the best lower registers of all female KPOP idols.
- Great pitch accuracy and almost never goes flat.
- Has very good sense of control and breath support.
- Has occasionally produced a connected head voice.
- Shown some potential in musicianship skills in one performance.
- Has been continuously improving rapidly.
- Notes below G3 are badly supported.
- Still lacks conistency on F♯5s and above.
- Upper extension of voice is weak and airy falsetto is mostly used.
- Raspy texture to her voice due to nodules and tired vocal chords.
- Has still shown a lack of musicianship.
Lower Register: Unsupported below G3, but very good above that.
Middle Register: Good; stable larynx, tonality and resonance up to F5 and occasionally F♯5.
Upper Extension: Uses weak, airy falsetto almost all the time, but has produced head voice before.
Resonance: Achieves resonance often up to F5 and occasionally F♯5.
Musicianship: Shown minimal dynamics and interpretation skills, but has shown some potential in one performance of ‘Ma Boy’. She has yet to replicate this however.
Overall Ranking: Good [?]
Final Comments: Hyolyn is a very strong vocalist and is undoubtedly currently one of the best female idol vocalists. Over the years, Hyolyn has shown a big improvement; at debut she was an okay/decent vocalist, straining past C♯5 and only occasionally achieving resonance. However, after joining the show, Immortal Song 2, she has shown massive improvement with consistency, pitch and managing to expand her tessitura from C♯5 to F5 and soon F♯5. She has managed to surpass the likes of A Pink’s Eunji, Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon and f(x)’s Luna, all of which are decent vocalists. If she continues to improve at this rate, we could be seeing her easily reaching Ailee’s level.